Selasa, 28 April 2020

[BANGKOK JOURNAL PART 1: 46th APDSA ANNUAL CONGRESS 2019]

 46th ASIA PACIFIC DENTAL STUDENT ASSOCIATION ANNUAL CONGRESS 2019 THAILAND


OKAY HUFT! After dealing with problems, I finally make this story real HAHAHA. There're some missing parts, I guess, bcs I couldn't find the pic hehe... but enjoy the story!


31-07-2019 

Before headed to Bangkok, 2 friends of mine and I decided to play in Singapore first. We took a morning flight to Spore and strolling around for over hours. Changi is one of the most convenient airports to get transferred. There're many interesting spots to kill the time before the next flight for free. If you don't have much time to go outside, you can visit Jewel area. We ate Subway, the Alley, bought kinds of stuff, and watched movies as well.  The artificial garden in Jewel is mesmerizing! The mini sunflower garden is also beautiful!

  

01-08-2019

We arrived in Bangkok in the morning. The committee welcomed us and gave a rice snack. The delegates stayed at the Barkeley hotel in Pratunam area. After checked in, we visited the dental school of Chulalongkorn uni. I sat beside Goh. We had a long conv in the middle of traffic haha. In Chulalongkorn, first-year students became our guide to look around.  They wore a uniform. Cutie. Ah ya, besides the uni, there is high school which most of the student from there become the student of Chulalongkorn.  The teachers gave explanations about the dental school and the radiology department. We learnt the history of dentistry in Thailand by the collection in Vach Vudyawaddhana museum. I admire and adore the former king of Thailand. By the teacher's story, He such a very good king. He used his own money for the people, watched over them, and always tried to improve oral health particularly in rural areas. 

Thailand nowadays develops 3D machine for dent studs to learn teeth preparation. We can choose from the easy to the hard level. When I use it, it was very real like you do a prep in the real tooth. I really enjoyed it. Brilliant. Undoubtedly, dent studs could save more money from that hahaha. 

 
 Oya, this is Ing and Pauny        3D tooth prep machine 

In museum 

We visited the human body museum which exhibits human specimens that made of real human bodies from Japan by making bodies via plastination process (but we were not allowed to take pic or video). Then, we also took a look around the dental hospital building and backed to the Barkeley. 

OMG! This is the beginning of group 4 story in Bangkok. I'm very excited when writing this story hahaha. So, the opening ceremony was started by the speech and Thailand traditional dance. The costumes and performances were stunning. I'm fond of it. The committee explained to us the whole event for the next few days and APDSA things as well. AH YA! Let me introduce my group. From left to right, up to down: Goh (Malaysia/Hongkong), Joel (Singapore), Punlok (Cambodia), Keiko (Japan), Xhion (Malaysia), Kyle (South Korea), June (Thailand), Nan (Thailand), James (Thailand), Wendy (Malaysia/Taiwan), and me J. Nan and June are our group leaders.

Tbh, at first, I was afraid whether I would fit in this group or not. By the time, I got my comfort. They’re so kind, care, and outgoing. This is my favourite part of this APDSA annual meeting, become part of group 4 besides the great hospitality provided by the committee. I’m very grateful for it. We talked about many things while eating a tasty dinner. Yummy. One of the funniest was Kyle would enter the autopsy class and he scared.  Oh, Kyle, unfortunately, I just have a forensic class, it’s enough. And he jealous on me that much Hahaha. Kyle is very humorous in his way haha and kindhearted too! We shared our life stories. His is so engaging.  And surprisingly, u know, last APDSA was the 5th or 6th for Goh! wow

Oh ya, this pic actually took in the last day but all of the members here hehe

First dinner (Nan, Keiko, and Goh were still on their way)

02-08-2019
Move to the 2nd day. In the 2nd day, we had 2 main activities. Academic session and Who Needs Sleep. Bcs we slept late, so felt sleepy but we had to sit in the front line hahaha. The academic session consists of presentations, exhibition, and competitions. The 1st presentations talked about “Be prepared for the world you’re facing: ageing healthy and healthy ageing”. Then “what exactly is your work as a dentist in patient’s eyes?”. After that, “how to prepare ourselves to serve population”. My favourite session was the last one. The speaker gave us tips on how to behave so the patients still feel comfortable and trust in us. She said the patients very look to our nonverbal communication. Based on data, 93% of people will judge you by your nonverbal communication. We should show our empathy, be cheerful, confident, give the best hospitality, respect them, amiable, and trustable.

 
 
 

After the presentations, there was an elderly experience exhibition. It was fun because we can get a prize if we fill the maps (below). We had to visit every post and did the challenges. There were 5 posts consist of the new golden age, be grandma, inspiring innovative dental care, yadom, memorize them all, ageing society matters now, and be a grandpa. Ah ya, yadom is traditional Thailand medicine. It’s like Indonesian minyak tawon with a better smell. And Kyle likes yadom hahaha. 

 Joel loves curapox especially when its colour is amber. He mentioned it many times. So, I asked him to take a photo with his favourite one haha. Uch, you are so cute Joel!

Yhaaa this is us after attended talkshow


Our first lunch! U can see mine is different. It was halal food. They were asked why I was eating that kind of food and well I answered that’s bcs I’m Muslim so I couldn’t eat pork (just to simplify). Instead of the main course, there were also unique desserts. For sure, it’s not really different from Indonesian but not as sweet as Indonesian kolak

After the academic session, we hang out through the “who needs sleep”. It was really fun. We crossed Chao Praya River to reached Icon Siam with the ferry. Along the way to Icon Siam, Wendy and I shared our thoughts and differences among Indo – Malay. She’s very charming, energetic, brave, and outgoing. She loves physical and outdoor activities. She studies in military school and abroad (Taiwan). With James, in the subway, we were gossiping and grumbling dent school. Hahahha. James’s very lovely, caring, and talkative person. I’m sure you’ll like him once you meet. Uu James miss you

Icon Siam is a new shopping centre, I guess, in Bangkok. We had dinner with a bewitching night view of Bangkok with appetizing food bcs the restaurant is at the top of the building. Such a pleasure. We also tried mango sticky rice. Yummy. Going to Thailand is not completed yet if you don’t try durian hahaha. As a fan of durian, I was very excited!! So we decided to go to the food court (it’s a kinda traditional market in the mall bsc they sell Thailand snacks). Wendy is also a durian lover! We will eat durian together someday haha. Only Keiko and Kyle who don’t like durian. Hahahha 

 
Dinner in the Icon Siam

w/ tuk tuk

We took pose like a Thailand traditional icon, a monkey isn't it?
I forced Kyle to try coconut ice cream first hehe sorry :(  it was yummy, though

Ah ya Keikoo!!! In Icon Siam, we talked a lot. Keiko is a charming girl. I love her smiling eyes. The thins that I couldn’t even forget is that she studied for the final exam during APDSA while the test 6 months later J hehe

AAAA… there was a challenge from the committee. We should pose like a tooth fairy. Our pose represents a tooth fairy rightttt? But we didn’t win L

While waiting for other groups, we watched the water fountain with a stunning view of Bangkok. Aa… exhausted but happy. We got back to Berkeley with a taxi to shorten the time.

03-08-2019
Group four got an optional tour to Nakhon Prathom (if I'm not mistaken hehe). It was outside Bangkok (like Depok perhaps haha). Joel sat beside me. I'm glad we talked about many interesting things in life. Such a memorable one. He’s a kindhearted person, a durian lover too! And he loves his sister so much :)

 

The 1st a place we visited was red lotus floating market. THIS IS US! (-) Xhion and James


We’re cute, aren't we? HAHAHAHA


The 2nd place (aww I forget the name). We made handkerchief with a chosen pattern, fish from leaves, and an elephant from clay

We had lunch in volcano place (ahh I don’t know the name, but the signature is a volcano prawn (?)). Okay, from this, I realize that I love Thai food!!!! Bsc the taste not really different from Indonesian. Spicy and seasoned. And mostly the dish uses seafood, especially prawn. The taste of tom yam was so original Hehehe 

 
After late lunch—we ate again in alongside river (perhaps Chao Praya,idk)… reminiscing this day makes me hungry haha w/ our favourite mango sticky rice

Ferries back and forth in our sightseeing with a shimmering light 

After dinner, it was still 9pm. Need to play more hahaha. So after arrived in Berkeley, we went to Neon night market to try Thailand street foods and look for unique pieces of stuff. Joel wanted to get a massage but sadly those places were full. We had to wait for hours but Joel had a practice schedule for the cultural night. So Nan and June took us to Thai massage place. But it was just me, Wendy, Goh, and Kyle. Omg, that was very relaxing. My starched muscle really enjoyed it!!!!


This is me and Nan in Neon night market

Oh ya, I also realized that June and Nan area a very kindhearted person and funny. They really helped us in many ways and made us laugh at the same time HAHA. Lovee you June and Nann <3

04-08-2019
The last busy day in APDSA. They were a workshop, alumni session, cultural night, and closing ceremony. The workshop took place in Mahidol. The building is soo tall. 21 lvl isn’t it? You even could find Auntie Anne’s.

 
In front of Mahidol

I got “Basic-to-advance training, predictable implant treatment using 3D planning and positioning – practical skills for future dental implant dentistry”. It was very great bcs we learnt how to make a plan and do the implant prep which we won’t get in undergrad. The hands-on was unforgettable. When you do the prep, it was so satisfying. Yuhuu 

 
After the prep and 3D implant planning 

  
After the hands-on session, we had lunch and listen to the alumni session.

His figure is so inspiring. He said, leadership is important in dentistry, the hardest thing is dealing with ppl. Someone could be called as a leader if they know about ppl, looking for their potentials, and make sure everyone gives their best. Thank you for the awesome story sir. Wish could be like you in the future. Later on, we backed to the Barkeley for the cultural and closing ceremony. Indonesia showed a mixed traditional dance haha


This is me and Nan. I was wearing a batik skirt and Nan w/ a cool Thai trad dress

Yaps… to wrap up.. this is completely US. I’m glad finally Xhion joined us again. Xhion, I’m sorry, I thought your name was Shawn (HAHAHA so embarrassing). He’s very humble and a gentleman. You know, I wrote name Shawn in the letter -_-

Next year, the APDSA annual congress will be held in Cambodia (in Punlok’s) so he was so excited to promote his country :)

Those are souvenirs from APDSA

We exchanged souvenirs among us. Hihiy, I’m overjoyed

This is a letter written by Group 4 to me. Gonna miss you guys.

It’s my pleasure to get new-kindhearted and outgoing-friends. Besides, I got to know about dentistry in different countries, open up my mind, and many incredible bits of knowledge. We definitely will see each other someday  :)

05-08-2019
Our last day in Berkeley. Just had breakfast and checked out the hotel. Another journey in Bangkok just started with Daneta [to be continued] 


4 komentar:

  1. Balasan
    1. haha alhamdulillah, thank youuu elvin dear :)

      Hapus
  2. I will come back to your blog if I miss time in Thailand Apdsa. ��very detailed journal. Miss u too Farih!

    BalasHapus
    Balasan
    1. hahaha glad to hear! I wrote this also to ease my memory when i miss this APDSA. Hope you're doing fine:)

      Hapus

[BANGKOK JOURNAL PART 1: 46th APDSA ANNUAL CONGRESS 2019]

 46th ASIA PACIFIC DENTAL STUDENT ASSOCIATION ANNUAL CONGRESS 2019 THAILAND OKAY HUFT! After dealing with problems, I finally make this...